Sample Gameplan Structures Available for New Coaches to Use

******* Run style offensive gameplan sample********

(1) Hurry Up ...12.....-20 to -8.....4 to 11.....3 to 90.....HT to 59.....(S)-DT-DL-FI-QL--S

(2) Step Up ...12.....-20 to -4.....4 to 10....32 to 90....40 to 59......(A)-CW-OP-EV-DI--R

(3) Wind Dwn...12.......8 to 20.....3 to 10....32 to 90.....53 to 59......(G)-RC-LO-RO-RN--S

(4) Long..........1234..-20 to 20....11 to 99...15 to 99....0 to 75.......(S)-SI-DE-OP-EV--S

(5) 3rd Short....1234....-20 to 20....1 to 2......1 to 99......0 to 75........(J)-RC-RN-LO-TW--A

(6) 3rd Mid.......34.....-20 to 20....3 to 6......1 to 99......0 to 75........(E)-CW-LL-FI-QL--S

(7) 3rd Long.....34.....-20 to 20....7 to 11.....3 to 99......0 to 75........(S) QD-QL-EV-DO--A

(8) 1st D-A.......1......-20 to 20....3 to 10.....30 to 99....22 to 43.......(T)-LT-LL-PW-SO--R

(9) 1st D-B.......1......-20 to 20....3 to 10.....30 to 99.....16 to 75.......(A)-RT-PS-PW-LL--R

(10) 1st D-C.......1.....-20 to 20.....3 to 10.....30 to 99.....0 to 15.......(J)-RO-RW-LO-PW--3

(11) 2nd S-A......2.....-20 to 20.....3 to 6.......30 to 99.....12 to 43.......(J)-RT-PS-RN-LO--A

(12) 2nd S-B......2 ....-20 to 20.....3 to 6........30 to 99.....0 to 75........(J)-RC-RN-LO-OR--4

(13) 2nd D-A......2....-20 to 20......7 to 11......30 to 99.....11 to 39.......(T)-CW-SL-RW-DI--R

(14) 2nd D-B......2....-20 to 20.......7 to 11......30 to 99....0 to 75.........(S)-DT-DI-DW-SO--S

(15) 2nd R.........2....-20 to 20.......7 to 11......4 to 30......0 to 75.........(I)-CW-LO-PW-DI--R

(16) 1st R.........12...-20 to 20.......3 to 10......1 to 30......0 to 75.........(K)-RO-PS-RN-QL--A

****there are boundless ways to set up a run offence, this is just a shell with sample plays to give some examples of the type of plays you may use and in situations they may be more beneficial. the beauty of such a shell is that you can creat any type of run game with it, whther it be a Smashmouth, West Coast offence, Playaction team or Balanced pro set for example, they all can be flavoured to whatever the imagination desires within the sample gameplan shown.

When I first started playing many moons ago i got a pasting by a run team in a Bowl game against my passing team. When i soon after took up a second team i decided to make it a run team, and i had a good look at what this master coach did. I dissected his gameplan and created a version for myself that mixed in his philosophies and my own. Hopefully a few of these sample gameplans will create a nice base for anyone that is new to the game or struggling to find where to start.

If anyone has any questions they want to ask in regard to gameplan shells, plays or sequences of plays, philosophies or anything, do so on here or pm me, whichever is easier. :gift:

over the weekend i will try to whip up a version of my A Cardinals high octane pass offence on here to give another style.

all the best guys, Fles

First of many posts from me (hopefully).

Basic players will notice that one of the big differences on defence is that you can target your plays specifically to formations.
Lines that have "formation specificity" can have great power and impact for your defence and can both avoid getting burnt and also help you get the playcalling right to shut down the offence.

There are some plays that work well against a wide array of plays, for example RD shuts down or limits almost all running plays,
while BZ for example can stuff quite alot of runs, and get great pressure against most passes.
In some cases these 'no brainer' plays can be great when you aren't sure what they'll call on offence, but for those coaches who want to really get stuck in to break up the plays the offence chooses might like to avail themselves of the formation box on defence.

I have noticed that RD and BZ are very popular defences in gameplan and that they have been mentioned occasionally as "too powerful",
so naturally I decided to design a defence without any BZ or RD (although some RD did get sprinkled in from time to time).

This defence is predicated around the idea of choosing different formations the offence might run, and throwing a variety of blitzes into the main running lanes that formation is likely to feature, thus getting pressure on the QB and hopefuly breaking up some runs along th way.

This is the defensive gameplan I put together for a half season tryout in NFLA, as you will see it is very simple, a prevent line, 2 short yardage, 2 long yardage and the rest are generic formation specific lines.

After a half season, i had the top defence in the conference and 3rd in the league, and I left the league at this time.

these are th plays I used

and this is how they went

Attachments

What a great thread, and an excellent post Alex - you've appealed to my inner geek with the pie chart...

A couple of words on your defense - might do a little more if I get the chance later. Just my tuppenny happeny worth, but as a coach who runs the stretch, my Cleveland O would eat that D for breakfast, lunch and dinner - there's no deep passing coverage (ND won't cut it against most of the deep stuff and only WS is a reliable enough blitz to regularly affect the passing game), there are too many blitzes that will all be taken advantage of by WR runs that can go all the way and you need something to stop DR, DE, TR and the like - you'll get a few stuffs from the blitzes but it won't be consistent. A stretch with a rotated reaction and something like SI DR DL EV would, IMO, be very successful against that D. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but, again, great post.

:clap:

That's what I thought at first too,
( no gameplan is perfect and everyone will have their own ideas and ways of doing things, plays they like and don't like,)
but the results speak for themselves. Best pass defence in the league, best overall in the conference. 11.5% sacks. 4 yards per run.

If you have faith in your high DBZ defence(10 of 11 starters on this team had DBZ), play hard and have a decent offence you'd be quite surprised what you can get away with in respect to aggressive playcalling on D.

there are too many blitzes that will all be taken advantage of by WR runs
With regard to WR runs, well over 50% of the initial playcalling mix there for S is ND, which kills it dead, and around 20% is WS and SS, which both usually got good results against EV and RV, WS is easy to explain as the blitzer is headed to the source of the play, and while SS might see a bad match because it is a blitz from the wrong side of the field, the fact of the matter is that he is coming from a position near the gadget WR and heading straight at the QB, who is getting ready to hand the ball to the WR, visualise this play matchup IRL and you'll see there is potential there for brocken plays and plenty of fumbled exchanges that I saw while calling it in A. So IMX this line stopped the WR runs about 65% of the time, for big losses. Gadgets averaged 4 yards per call against me in this half season. Compare this to a team that uses alot of BZ, and some WC ZD or ZS and I think you'll agree that ~55% ND with some WS and SS and ~20% SB is not much of a risk to get burnt.

you need something to stop DR, DE, TR and the like - you'll get a few stuffs from the blitzes but it won't be consistent.
As for the run from the S, well yes its going to do ok, but compared to the alternative, I am happy to give up a 7-10 yard run from time to time inorder to sting the offence with some sacks. I have yet to come across a stretch offence that is ever happy to give up on the passing game and focus on the draws even if they are getting good yards. After a few runs they go back into a pass or few and that is exactly what I want with this defence, get them passing and get a sack fumble, or hurry pick. Overall the D averaged 4 yards per run. IMX ND and other man to man coverages do much much better at limiting runs than people give them credit for, especially compared to the zones. ND and LD are ok at limiting big draw runs from S IMX.

there's no deep passing coverage (ND won't cut it against most of the deep stuff and only WS is a reliable enough blitz to regularly affect the passing game)
While I respect your opinion my experience with this team in A does not support your statement, SS generated enormous pressure against passing formations and was very rarely ever burnt, I suggest you give it a try.
In this defence the blitzes take the place of deep pass defences, have you heard the expression "to live or die by the blitz"?
:)

thanks for your feedback, if you want to put your theory into practice, you know where to find this team, lol.
I didn't expect people to debate the merrits of this plan in particular, but as far as I'm concerned the more debate on GP the better, and any ideas people have or critisism of this plan will just help to further educate our basic brothers thinking of stepping up to the original and best form of the game.
:lol:

Attachments

How to get good value for your lines.

By varying the input in your lines you can make each line achieve different things.

Usually most of my lines vary in use during the game by score, field position, yards to down and time.

Here is a very simple example of how the lines you know and love from BASIC can be used to achieve many things.
In my GPs usually all lines vary dynamically like this, not just 5 of them as shown here. I feel this gives more fluidity to your offence, like IRL, it prevents oponents being able to identify where your paramaters turn off and on and it saves you lines in your GP by doing each line do 3 or 4 roles

These 5 lines fullfil atleast 12 major rolls in the gameplan as explained below.

The lines may be familiar to basic players, we have a deep line, a range line, a Hurry Up line (#d), a short yardage line (#e) and a changeup line.

The difference is they have different paramaters set so that these lines turn on and off at different situations in the game.
The lines work together to achieve the following functions:
1) Goallines:
the only line that covers between 1-10 and 90-100 is the ultra safe line e, this ensures that you minimise the potential for getting taken for a safety, or turn the ball over when about to score.
2) Safe Short Yardage
line e is predominantly used in short yardage on 2nd down, where the simple running plays are there to just move the chains
3) Exploitative Short Yardage
when the score is not in your favour line d will pick up most short yardage situtaions on 2nd down, and will send the ball long, hoping to keep the defence unready, but only after the first quater once the offence has established the pattern of short yardage running.
4) Deep
In the most used section of the field your best plays sit on line a. This is where most drives start, and the area where you don't want to stall (punt give them a short field), or turn the ball over (and give them a definate score).
5) Midfield uptempo
between midfield and 70 yards the field position issue is becoming less dire (field won't be dangerously short after a TOver or punt) so the b line mixes in a few riskier plays to try to get some decent yards to really get the drive going.
6) Midfield Shots DOwnfield
Just outside your 4th down midfield area, when you are not yet in range, but no longer need to worry about giving up a short field, the d lines turns on to mix in some deep passes to try to catch the D napping.
7) Safe In Range playcalling
the line c mixes safe effective playcalling to keep the ball moving towards the goalline without turning it over.
8) Changeup Deep
When behind by more than a FG the deep line becomes inactive and all such situations are called from the Changeup Line, thus increasing the productivity of the offence, at higher risk.
9) Major Changeup Deep
When behind by more than a TD both the Deep Line and Changeup line turn off, and all these situations are called from the d line, which is an aggressive high risk high reward line, this is designed to get some big gains quickly and get the score back to a more managable level.
10) Changeup in Range
When behind by more than 10 points the c line becomes inactive, and then all in range situations will be called from the d line, therefore using the big plays to quickly get the score back to respectability.
11) Hurry Up offence
lines a b and c all turn off when hurry up time is reached, therefore when behind on the scoreboard in hurry up time plays will be called from the aggressive vertical d line, to score quickly
12) SLow down offence
However when the score is in your favour in HT, lines A B and C are off due to the time (after HUT) and line d is off due to score (only on -20 to -1 score), and therefore all situations are called from the safe running line e, this is designed to chew the clock and work towards easy safe 3rd downs after 3 or 4 yard runs on first and second down.

keep in mind that this is only 5 lines, so there are 11 more lines you can use to fill any holes you think you see in the above example, which is merely illustrative of the idea of doing multiple situations with one line.
This idea, these lines, could be used to form a general structure to your first and seconds downs, and many other lines could be added to make it do whatever you wish.

IMHO this design works best if you can find a single formation from which you are comfortable fullfilling all these lines, ie is there a formation that you would be happy to use both on the goalline and in hurry up? It may be a tough ask and you may need to have a different formation for one or two of the lines, but if you do you will make it easier for the defence to spot your paramater deliniation and make it more likely that uyour different lines will come up against different lines of the defences gameplan.

The exact amount of safety, agression, productivity and risk is entirely up to you, the formation you choose, the plays you call and the squad a nd training you have. For simplicity I categorise them as safe/normal/changeup/risky.

The degree to which you divert from your standard playcalling and 'hit the panic button' can be altered by changing the score at which the normal and safe lines turn off.

Attachments

paperbackwriter said:
A couple of words on your defense - might do a little more if I get the chance later. Just my tuppenny happeny worth, but as a coach who runs the stretch, my Cleveland O would eat that D for breakfast, lunch and dinner -
For the record, a year after I ditched the team the gameplan I posted above is still the #1 defence in the NFLA, even after the roster got ravaged by the cull without me.
it a game this week against a team that used msotly S and D, and won 31-12.

Attachments

I was strolling down memory lane reading some of my earliest games in advanced GP (surprised to see some of the things I attribute some of my minor successes go right back to the first months?!).

I recalled how simple the first gameplan was, so I looked it up.

It is only 12 lines on offence, 11 on defence, it looks very much like some sort of automated original gameplan, or atleast one that has been changed a little, but not much since then.
Then I recalled this thread and thought I would post it here for new coaches to examine.
This is lots and lots simpler than my gameplans!

Also it kinda confused me a bit, since this gameplan is only 27 of the possible 32 lines. Who would make such a truncated gameplan? Can you clear lines completely if you don't want them? Or had this gameplan been 12 lines long for the first 15 years of AY until I came along? Is this some sort of automated gameplan that was installed to help me or a previous new coach? Or did maybe the last coach to have this team put in this simple gameplan to help the new guy? How could anyone put a defence of only 11 lines with no formation specificity into an advanced leagues??
:read:

Attachments

Alan Milnes

Commisioner
Staff member
You can't delete a line, if you clear it its still there with loads of dashes in place.

It looks like this team has never used the full number of lines!!

Re: Sample Gameplan Structures Available for New Coaches to

I thought I would take the time to bump this thread, as there is a bounty of info on here for any new or even established coaches looking for some advice or ideas.

I certainly don't mean this in any way to sound full of myself or that I know it all, far from it (as any person who knows me will attest too) but I would like to take the opportunity to offer anyone, particularly the newer coaches, any GP advice or mentoring etc etc.

I have been very fortunate over 24 years to make some great mates, to share ideas and learn from many, many coaches, in particular the Aussie brigade, and would be most happy to give the game a bit back. So please feel free to message me, now matter how small or big your question is.

I know there are plenty of the other long established coaches out there who would only be too willing to help out too. :hello: